Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Happy B-day Israel!!

Well, this is and was my first Yom Ha'atzmaut in Israel, as an Israeli also. I gotta say, it's a lot more fun here than it is in the States. Let's see. First, after spending almost all of yesterday watching sad and depressing shows about fallen soldiers, (I have to say, though, that I never knew so many soldiers had/have so many artistic talents. Channel 2 had a program in conjunction with Galei Tzahal, called "Soon, we will have a song". They told a story of a soldier who had been killed, then put a music video together of a song, poem, or beautiful letter that that soldier had written before he died. It was really well done and the songs were amazing. It made me think very differently about the kids that serve our country.) we watched the ceremony at Har Hertzl to kick off the Independence Day celebrations. The ceremony was really cool. I didn't understand most of the speeches, but the marching, dancing, and singing were awesome!! We cracked open some beers and wine and got the parties started. Well, not really. The Matrix was on, so we watched that. Anyway, today was awesome!! I'm up north with my fiance's family. Their Yishuv has a carnival every year, so we went up to it. It was great. They had the bbq going for everyone to enjoy. Nothing cost anything. Moonwalks, slip and slides, zip line, an Ethiopian hair braider, people drawing on fake tatooes, it was great!! I've never been to anything like it. It's really a community event. Then, we went back to the house for a family and friends bbq. There were steaks, hamburgers, hot-dogs, and, most importantly, kegs. I don't think I've ever eaten so much in my life. They also had another Matrix marathon on TV, so we all sat around eating, drinking, and watchin Nio/Jesus save the world. What a way to celebrate!! To top it off, Eretz Nehederet had their season finale, and it was soo funny!! Ok, granted, I don't understand everything they're saying, I understand most of it now. I also am starting to understand the political humor and who they're making fun of.
I don't know if a play by play of my first Yom Ha'atzmaut is what you wanted, or if you wanted me to be all political or something. This is a day for celebrating; not for talking politics. If you see yourself talking politics during the day, stuff another hot-dog into your mouth and drink another beer. PARTY ON ISRAEL!!! Let's do it again next year!!
-OC

5 Comments:

At 1:40 AM, Blogger Chai18 said...

i cant wait till next year when i will be in Israel for yom ha'aztmaut, it must be a completely different experience.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

It is, it is!! You feel like you're celebrating with a real community, the whole of Israel, instead of just a fringe part of your community (in the States) that's trying to show solidarity with Israel by having some sort of celebration or a speaker(s). You'll love it!!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

I remember my first (and only )
Yom Ha'tzmut in Israel was awesome, I spent the evening in town, spraying stargers with shaving cream and bopping people on teh head wirg boppers..good times

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Menachem said...

ok, that was probably the worst eretz nehederet i've ever seen... they are usually MUCH better than the crap that was on thursday night. they carried the whole future thing way way way too far.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

menachem,you're right. they did carry the future thing on for a little longer than they should have. my fav line from the future thing, though, was when he asked if that yr was finally going to be the year that they disengaged from Gaza. other than that, i think there some very funny parts. looking forward to next season.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home