Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Moving the conversation...

This conversation started on "Behind a Door's" blog, and after she started to threaten me with deletion of my comments or as she put it "I did say no more political discussion on this, and I really have a desire to delete your post..."

so in order for my finger tip clicks, and thoughts not to go to waste, and also to respect her wishes, I am moving the conversation over to here.

I am not going to get into the whole conversation (it's long) but it has to do with road blockings from yesterday. For those of you who want to here is the link to the conversation click here.

before I go on I would like to make clear that I am not all for the disengagement. I think it is a very dangerous thing, that has great ramification for this country in the future. But at the same time I believe that this is the lesser of evils that must be done in order to insure our existence here in the future. I also believe that this is going to be the first and last pull out we do from the west bank and Gaza, and this is the price we have to pay in order to insure it.

having said that I would like to present some important points raised in the conversation.
1. One of the main reasons that I support the disengagement is militarily. Having spent my time in the army (4 years including 2 as an officer) I know what the army was going through since the Intifadah broke out. I will not go into the details since this is not the place, but I can say that it has not been easy to say the least. the disengagement will make the army a lot better than it is today in terms of flexibility also in the Gaza strip and also in the entire country.

2. I am all for people who want to go and protest. I think there were a lot really good and really successful ideas that were done, including the pesach and yom Haatzmaut parades that took place in Gaza and got a lot of very positive light from the media. I think that the road blocking does not help the cause, and just makes everyone angry.

3.the claim that the settlements were put up as a security means is just wrong. they were put up in the 70's as a means (much like the ones today) to "set the facts on the grounds." the goal was very similar to the settlements built in the Galil in the 80s, so that there will be a Jewish Hold on the land.

4. The claims about legitimacy of the Govt. are also wrong. In a democratic country there are laws and a parliament (the Knesset in our case) is aloud to act as long as it does not go against those laws. And since there is no Laws that requires a party to follow the live that it ran for parliament on, the claim for illegitimacy that I have heard so many times is just wrong.

5. On the same note, there are ways to bring down a Govt. that are legal and acceptable. Trying to do it in any other means is once again wrong, and dangerous.

there is more, a lot more, but I also would like to give people a chance to answer and give their opinion.

-OY

5 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

Do the protests and marches actaully accomplish anything? or is it basically a sign of solidarity amoung Israel?

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

shu, I would have to say that when the protests and marches are done in a constructive and positive way, they do show solidarity and unity and bring positive reactions to the cause. I really believe that. And, I hope they don't stop. As with what happened when the Golan was being threatened, the marches and positive protests that have been done in Gaza show that Ha'Am Im Gush Katif.
Howevever, I think the blocking traffic and burning tires provides the opposite effect and actually just makes people angry and less sympathetic to the cause. People have said that the traffic jams caused people to stop and think. I think that's a naive way of thinking. From what was seen on the news, it just enraged people. It did nothing to help the cause, and it did nothing to show solidarity.
Does that answer your questions, shu?
-OC

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Menachem said...

haf GA nah!
lo chashuv al mah!

haf GA nah!
lo chashuv al mah!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Menachem, that's so funny. My fiance just explained to me where it came from. I might have to start using it from now on. HAHA
-OC

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Just Shu said...

It helps..When I was in Israel we went ato ralkly for the Golan, and we had fun. When I was in YU we went to a huge rally in D.C. and I had a good time and saw some friends...but I didnt think that either of thsoe changed anything in terms of policy making

 

Post a Comment

<< Home