Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Friday, May 06, 2005

Remember

So, yesterday was Yom Hashoa-Holocaust Day here in Israel. It was my first here, and it was very intense for me. Let me tell you, Israel takes this day with the utmost seriousness. First of all, and they do this for Yom Ha'Zikaron (Israel's Memorial day), all the channels shut off from 6:00 PM Wed night until yesterday at 8:00 PM. Some of the channels turn off their programming completely, and the other channels only have Holocaust related shows, documentaries, and movies. They had a moving ceremony at Yad Vashem. I was so excited to wake up the next morning to hear the siren and watch traffic come to halt. I mean, I had always heard that that happened, so now I wanted to see it for myself.
I woke up a little before 10, and went to the window as soon as the siren started. It's on for 2 minutes, on the TV, radio, and outside. It's unlike anything I've ever heard before. But, alas, I live in the French Hill. A lot of Arabs live in this neighberhood, and they don't stop when the sirens go off. So, I didn't get to see any traffic stop. They just kept on driving. Yeah, Dov told me they never do stop.
Well, last night, we were watching the news, and I saw something that made me so proud to be living in Israel. Ariel Sharon went with a bunch of holocaust surivors and their grand-children to join 18,000 other delagates, 8,000 of them non-Jews, at Auschwitz for this year's March of the Living. A lot of the grand-children that went along with the delegation are in the Army. I mean, what a kick to the ass of the Nazis. Here we are. A people that were almost completely wiped off the face of the earth. Now, we have a country of our own. We have an Army of our own, and one of the most superior forces on the face of the earth, at that. This day we can say to the world with a loud and unison voice that the Brits can boycott us from here until tomorrow, the Palestinians can try to suicide themselves into existence, and the UN can blame us for every world problem there is, but we'll still be here. We'll always be here, whether anyone likes it or not. I'm sure at moments like that, there are many coutries (like the leftist European "elites" and Arab League) and Nazis that are just writhing in agony every time they think about the Jews having their own country and an Army. I mean, Jews carrying weapons. G-d, it must kill them. We're supposed to be the meek. There this line from the movie, "School Ties" that reminds me of situations like this.
-"...I seem to recall a passage from the Bible, 'Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth'."
-"I wonder how meak they'll be when they do, Sir."
EXACTLY!! Anyways, I got this sudden urge to call my grand-father, a holocauset survivor. Actually, probaly about 3/4 of my family was killed in the holocaust. So, I called my grand-father, as I do every weak. I told him that I'm not only living in Israel for myself. I'm living in Israel for him, for my grand-mother (that passed away 10 years ago), and for every family member that died in the Holocaust. I'm a Jew, learning Hebrew, living in Israel. Our revenge is the blue and white flag. Onto next week for some more remembrance and then celebrations.
"L'Olam Lo Ode"
"Lo Neshkach"
Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home