Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

You buy the popcorn. I don't want to miss the previews...

OK, so I'm in the middle of this paper that has to be turned in by the end of today. As a way of procrastinating and because TRK has made me think about this for the past few days, I've decided to compile a list of my favorite move lines, thus far. I also noticed, though, that there are great lines from movies I've never seen. So, I've decided that 2 seperate lists would be appropriate. One that has my 10 favorite, and one that has other great movie lines. (As a side note, these are not necessarily in order of their greatness)


Great Movie Lines of All Time
  1. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn! (Gone With the Wind)
  2. Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine. (Casablanca)
  3. I'll make him an offer he can't refuse. (The Godfather)
  4. We're gonna need a bigger boat. (Jaws)
  5. I could have been a contender. (On the Waterfront)
  6. Let's get out of these wet clothes and into a dry Martini. (Every day's A Holiday)
  7. Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love. (Annie Hall)
  8. There's no place like home. (The Wizard of Oz)
  9. All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up. (Sunset Blvd)
  10. I was cured all right (A Clockwork Orange)

My Favorite Movie Quotes
  1. What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain. (The Matrix)
  2. Every man dies, not every man really lives. (Braveheart)
  3. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory. (Apocalypse Now)
  4. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. (The Devil's Advocate)
  5. Advertising has us chasing car and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man--no purpose or place. We have no great war. No great depression. Our great war's a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars . . . but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact and we're very, very pissed off. (Fight Club)
  6. Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.
    You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to. (A Few Good Men)
  7. Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. (Ferris Bueller's Day Off)
  8. you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya punk? (Dirty Harry)
  9. Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb. (Spaceballs)
  10. Hope is a good thing - maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. (The Shawshank Redemption)

Honorable Mentions:

  1. I'll be back. (Terminator)
  2. May the force be with you. (Star Wars)
  3. I feel the need, the need for speed! (Top Gun)
  4. Protection from what . . . zee Germans? (Snatch)
  5. Here's Johnny! (The Shining)
  6. I tried to open a conversation with your friend in there. He seems to be slightly dead. (To Be or Not to Be)
  7. A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti. (Silence of the Lambs)
  8. You called down the thunder, well now you've got it! The law is coming! You tell them I'm coming . . . and Hell's coming with me! You hear?! Hell's coming with me! (Tombstone)
  9. Five seconds left in the game. Do you believe in miracles? YES! (Miracle)
  10. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. (The Princess Bride)

Ok, so there's my lists. I'd love to hear your favorites, comments, or if you disagree with some of the quotes on my list. These are my personal favorites, and there are plenty more. This goes to show that we watch entirely too much television and movies. I hope you enjoy these. Now, I really have to get back to finishing my paper. Chag Sameach to those of you reading in Chul. Later.

-OC

7 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Chai18 said...

"We miss touching other people so much that we crash into each other so we can feel something."-Crash

Jack: [after Paul thanks him for shooting footage of the genocide] "I think if people see this footage, they'll say Oh, my God, that's horrible. And then they'll go on eating their dinners."-Hotel Rwanda

"Andrew Largeman: You know that point in your life when you realize that the house that you grew up in isn't really your home anymore? All of the sudden even though you have some place where you can put your stuff that idea of home is gone.
Sam: I still feel at home in my house.
Andrew Largeman: You'll see when you move out it just sort of happens one day one day and it's just gone. And you can never get it back. It's like you get homesick for a place that doesn't exist. I mean it's like this rite of passage, you know. You won't have this feeling again until you create a new idea of home for yourself, you know, for you kids, for the family you start, it's like a cycle or something. I miss the idea of it. Maybe that's all family really is. A group of people who miss the same imaginary place." -Garden State

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger TRK said...

whoa, I got a mention - yippeeee!

(great quotes, some of them brought back fond memories)

shouldn't u be trying on dresses and going to food tasting?

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Chai18 said...

good point TRk, OC what are you doing watching movies?!?!

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

It's helping me cope with the madness. AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
-OC
p.s. chai, thanks for the additional quotes. they're great. havent seen those movies, but I want to.

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Menachem said...

you can't just write the napalm in the morning line without reproducing the whole speech. for a single one-liner from apocalypse now you should go with "charlie don't surf!" from the previous scene.

and you left out "I will gouge out your eyeballs and skullfuck you!" from full metal jacket.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Chai18 said...

whoa whoa menachem you had to put that quote in, you couldn't have just censored it a little? skullf**k??

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Oleh Yahshan said...

Well, there were only so many that I could put in. That's why I asked people to respond with their favorite quotes. I will answer you with another one: "Duely Noted"
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home