Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

How Old Am I?!?

Ok, so tomorrow it will have been a weak since I got married. I and my HUSBAND are returning to the bloggosphere. It's weird and natural, to say that, at the same time. I have a husband. I am a wife. It's interesting, cool, fun, and only a tiny bit freaky. It's settling in, bit by bit. Today, a little bit more when we went to Kasher our pots and silverware. But, so far, I'm really loving the married life.
So, the thing that struck my last Thursday night was how old me and my friends are. My older brother and sister had their weddings before they were 22. My sister was 19, and my brother was 21. I'm 23. But, still, I feel younger than they were when they got married. In the pictures, I feel that they looked older at 19 and 21 than I look now at 23. I guess that's understandable. At the Afruph, some-one thought my 16 year old sister was the fiance. When my husband pointed out that I was really his fiance, the woman said, "Hei? Aval, hei kol kach ketana!!" (Translation: Her? But, she's so small!!) OK, so my sister does look old for her age, and she's about 5'9", so it doesn't surprise me anymore. But, the fact is I am married, and I am 23. So, last Thursday night, I was showing my dearly beloved a photo album from my 10th and 11th Grade years. Half-way through, we came to a group picture of me and a bunch of my friends from high-school. All--of-a-sudden, it hits me, and I point to each person (there are about 20 people in the picture) and go: "Married, married, married, engaged, engaged, engaged, married with a kid, engaged, etc..." Then, I flipped to a picture of me with a group of my Beit Yaakov friends and said the same thing. I couldn't believe it!! I mean, when did this happen?!? When did we get so old?!!? I mean, those pictures could have been taken yesterday, and today we're all either married or engaged or even have kids. That just seems so not NORMAL. When did we grow up??? When did life kick us in the ass like this??? It's not that I feel so old, but I feel like life is growing up, and I've been dragged along for the ride. I didn't even realize where it was taking me until now. Don't get me wrong. I love it. I love that I've found the person I'm going to be spending the rest of my life with, and being married seems like it's going to be one hell of a ride. But, looking at those pictures made it seem like everything has gone in slow motion and super fast forward all at the same time. It's a sort of an awakening and good feeling. I can't say I regret anything I've done in my life. How can I? It's led me to where I am. I can look back in fondness, thank G-d that I'm still friends with most of the people I was with back in high-school, and follow up with one last thought.
KEEP YOUR ARMS AND HANDS IN THE VEHICLE... THIS ROLLER-COASTER AINT THROUGH YET!!!
L'chaim!!!
-OC

5 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: Mazal Tov on your wedding! May you be zocheh to build a Bayit Ne'eman biYisrael.

You're only as old as you feel. Feel young - and you are. The more time you spend philosophising about age, the older you feel.

Worst case - be a geek, and think of your age in hexadecimal (meaning, you're a hex-ager till age 32...)

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

MAZAL TOV!

My only concern is that you wrote that it's "a weak since I got married." Fruedian, lulei demistafina, slip.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Cosmic X said...

Mazal Tov! Enjoy the roller coaster ride!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

No cloojew, no freudian slip there. I have always confused the spellings. I'll even spell week differently in two different sentences. Besides, as a psychology graduate, I don't believe in freudian slips. Just a typo, that's all.
-OC

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Chai18 said...

mazel tov!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home