Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Gather Round Children...

Let me tell you a story. It's a story that is very inspirational to me. It had and conitnues to have a profound effect on me; especially in my decision to make Aliyah. I hope it inspires all of you. Thanks.

Rabbi Binny Friedman told us a story at our Israel Club shabbaton. He told us this story about a man, Baruch, who moved to Israel after the Holocaust. He had had 8 children, and all but one, Chaim, survived and came to Israel with him after the war. Right when he got off the boat, Baruch was given a gun and told to fight, and fight he did. When the Yom kippur war came, Chaim fought in the war and was killed. The military convoy came to Baruch to tell him that his son was dead and asked what they could do, what arrangements they could take care of. Baruch had one request; that his son be buried on Har Hertzl. Over 300 people came to this funeral, including the head General of the military (The Ramatkal). The General put his arm around Baruch throughout the ceremony. Midway through the ceremony, Baruch started singing. The General thought he was going crazy because his last child was being buried and tried to calm him down. But, Baruch would not stop singing. A little bit later on, he started dancing and was trying to get other people to dance with him. People thought he was really starting to go off the deep end and asked him why he dancing and singing. Baruch said, "All my other 7 children are dead. They were killed in the holocaust. I don't know where they died. I don't know how they died. I don't know why they died. But, my 8th child, Chaim died protecting the land of Israel. He died protecting our home. He is buried in the land of Israel. He died, so the country could live. Why shouldn't I sing and rejoice for that?" After that, people started dancing with him.

Rabbi Friedman talked about actualizing our potential. This story really hit me hard. Even writing it, it still does. We all have potential for something great, something amazing. It's actualizing that potential and making it come true that takes the hardest amount of work and the most amount of sacrifice. It takes courage, blood, sweat, and tears. May G-d grant us all the strength to actualize our potential.

Peace!
-OC

5 Comments:

At 6:00 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Just sent you an email, Barb. Thanks.
-OC

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger yochanan said...

olah that made me cry my wifes grandfather survied the holocust because he came to America in the 1930's his 7 brothers and sisters were butched.

They just busted a terror cell in L.A. that had jewish targets on there computer.

And the liberal media is making an anti-semite a hero. The woman who is protesting at President Bush ranch is blaming Israel for the iraq war and sept 11 terror attacks.

Barbara you should look a little bit closer on who you say you support. It is not an accident that David Duke and anti israel left like cindy.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yoch, let me tell you that EVERY time I tell that story, it makes me cry. And, I can honestly say it had a lot to do with solidifying my decision to move to Israel. My mother is the daughter of holocaust survivors. More than 3/4 of my family was killed in the holocaust. I told my grandfather that I was here for him, that (OK, i'm crying just writing this) I was here for my grand-mother (who passed away due to Parkinson's inflicted by Nazi guards who hit her repeatedly in the head with the barrel of her gun. Why? B/c she didn't get food one day.) who always wanted to live here but died before her dream could be realized. There's no other home I can think of, man. No other.
I agree with a lot of what you say. However, one request. Barbara has become a true friend of mine. Please don't result to insults against her. NOT that I'm saying you have. B/c I don't believe that you have. Just, let's not let it get to that point. Is that cool?
But, Yoch, you and I are on the same wave-length.
-OC

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Amen,

OC,

What a beautiful story...It makes me cry..

May it be God's will for peace in Israel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home