Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Thursday, August 04, 2005

What team do you play for?

OK people, I know that the disengagement is coming up in 11 days, but I'm just so sick and tired of talking about it, writing about it, even thinking about it. As the husband wrote, everybody wants your opinion, screams at you for your opinion, then doesn't even accept your opinion as valid.
So, you know what? At least for this week, I'm not writing about it. I'd like to write about one of my passions. A passion that was ripped apart from me for over a year because of greed and a lack of common sense. That passion is hockey. I'm obsessed with it. It's my favorite sport. And, the Detroit Red Wings are my favorite team. With hockey back in full swing, meaning free agency and training camp starting soon, my life has gotten a little bit more exciting. After the collective bargaining agreement was signed a couple of weeks ago, a new era of hockey was born. It's a new world for those who love the sport, and for me, it's been very exciting and a little bit sad so far. Hockey has instituted a salary cap. That means that each time can only spend a certain amount, and each team has the same amount of money to spend. This means that teams that used to be in the bottom levels of the hockey world, both financially and in performance will be on a level playing field with the higher echilon teams like Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas. This has already resulted in many surprising results. Teams that had no name players and low budgets have been able to reach into their pocket books and add big name players. For instance, yesterday Edmonton bought Chris Pronger from the St Louis Blues. Players, like him, who have been cornerstones for their teams for years are now moving elsewhere b/c their teams either can't afford to keep them or are looking more long term. Detroit lost a player who's been a staple for the club since he started playing there 11 years ago; Darren McCarty. Those of you who love and know hockey knows why him being let go is such a big loss to his fans. (If any of you would love to comment on your favorites moments from him playing with Detroit, please feel free to do so.)
Now, I don't want to confuse or bore those of you who aren't interested or know much about hockey. But, this is a very interesting time for those of us who love the sport. Big name players are going to teams none of would have expected them to go to. This can be good or bad for those lower level teams who can now afford the big stars. It can either turn out in a situation where a team buys a big name guy who they know will fit into their team's chemistry and orchestrate playoff success. Or, it can turn out like the New York Rangers. They spent a ton of money on every big name guy they could find, but they couldn't win. The players they got didn't get along. Therefore, players with the money to play right now have to be careful not to get into a situation where they feel like they've won the lottery, so they buy every luxury item they can find. But, if it works out, we can see teams like Columbus, Florida, or even Pittsburgh (teams with numerous losing seasons) competing in the playoffs or even for the Stanley Cup against the normally top teams. Top teams that have a lot of money from their cap already invested in their top players and, therefore, can't afford to keep some of their stars or can't buy any new ones and have to invest in some "B" level guys. In any case, it'll be fun to watch, and I think curiousity alone (to see who'll succeed in this new world) will bring fans back to the game after more than a year's absence.
GAME ON!!!!
-OC

8 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Mitch said...

I'm pretty geeked about the season coming up too. Wifey and I are having our weekend anniversary watching the Leaf @ Sabres on the Friday and Chiefs @ Bills on the Sunday. My coworker is excitedly waiting for his season tickets for the wings to arrive - we're already looking through the schedule to see what games are a must see. I'm glad to see Edmonton and Calgary ramping up their teams - this will be the first time in a while the second game of a HNIC double header will be the must see game instead of the Leafs!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I know! That's what I'm talking about. Canada's returning back to be true players in the game. I mean, I remember when people were talking and were afraid that b/c of the old financial situation that Canada was going to sell off the rest of their teams. They just weren't in a real position to compete, especially with the Canadian dollar where it is. Now, everyone's equal. Being a Detroit fan, I was born to hate Toronto, but I'm very excited to see Canada come back to its old original six and 80's glory days. As Ricky Redomond likes to say:
WELCOME BACK TO OLD TIME HOCKEY!!!
-OC

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Not a hockey fan, but I wanted to say hello to you and say, Good Shabbos.

Now, I can talk about the disengagement process, and like everyone else get very worked up, but I will let it lie and hope, God willing, that no Jewish blood is shed.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Mitch said...

I have only one thing to say to a Detroit fan...GO LEAFS GO!!!!
I wear my Domi jersey to EVERY Dead Things game I go to and the funny thing is that I have never been to a game where they played Toronto! Boy do I get looks and comments from the fans...mostly they are pointing and laughing at me and my husband is trying desperately to look like he has no idea who I am. Isn't that right Mitch?

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

It's ok to be a Leafs fan. I am just always able to smug in the fact that the Leafs haven't won a Stanley cup in a few decades, and the Wings have won 3 in the past 8 years. That gets me through any heckling by Toronto fans. Haha on the Simpsons quote, btw. Really liked it.
-OC

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger Mitch said...

The funny thing is that I know on a good basis (my mom went to school with them) two members of the '67 Leafs. Wow... 38 years already for them and no cup to show for it!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, it's about damn time for them to get back in the hunt and to stop losing to the Sen.s in the first or second round every year.
-OC

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

I've always been a bigger hockey fan than B-ball fan. So, I will definitely be watching the hockey game instead.
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home