Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Friday, September 30, 2005

Lost In Space

Hey all,
Long time, no post. I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything in a week and a half. I have NOT dropped off the face of the earth, as some people have assumed. I've actually been sick the past couple of weeks, with two viruses in a row. Anyways, I'm not going to write about anything specific this time. There are too many things going on in my life right now to do that. I'm a little saddened that nobody had any ideas of how to boycott Great Britain. I think there is a real crisis brewing there, and if nothing's done about it soon, it will start to explode, and we will be the people to suffer the most.

In other matters, I'm too tired to discuss politics right now. I wanted to comment on the whole vote to hold primaries early within the Likud. Being accustomed to the pomp and circumstance and formality of American politics, I was very taken aback at watching the Likud meeting the night before elections this week. Even if President Bush were to speak at the DNC, I don't believe that he wouldn't have been treated with the amount of disrespect that PM Sharon was treated with at his own party's meeting. In America, no matter what you think about the President, in public meetings, he is treated with the respect that is attributed with holding the highest office in the land. It doesn't seem to be the case here, in Israel. People walking out as PM Sharon walked up to the podium and then pulling the microphone on him twice made me very angry. I don't care what you think of the guy or his politics, this guy is not a garbage collector, he's not a Joe Shmoe. He is the Prime Minister of the country! In my mind, you don't do those things. On top of that, with the things that are happening now, we do not need the world seeing this and seeing how the highest politician in the country is treated. If his own people won't treat him with the warranted respect that he deserves, how should the rest of the world treat him and us? The husband said I was wrong because the rest of the world doesn't care about this kind of stuff. They only care about when Pals get killed and stuff. Well, I hate being right. They also love to show our finest bloopers also. The next day, almost every major international newspaper's headlines included Sharon's microphone "snafu". I know that this country is more laid back and down to earth. But, when it comes to the way politicians are treated, especially the most powerful one in the country, this country has a lot to learn from the USA. There are some things you just don't do.

That's all I'm going to write for now. There are some important decisions that I have to make, and I'm just not in the mood for this right now. Maybe, I'll post about what's happening in my life. I'm not sure. It depends what happens. Dont worry, me and the husband are safe, happy, and secure. It's everything else that needs to be dealt with. Shabbat Shalom. And, if I don't mention this before hand, I wish y'all a Shana Tova and Metuka; a safe, happy, healthy, and sweet NEW YEAR.

-OC

12 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Blogger Avi said...

First off you are right. Second off, refuah shlayma. Thirdly, Shanah Tova u'Metuka v' Gmar Chatima tovah.

I'm in America during the Chaggim. Ani mitgageah Yerusalem, Ir HaKodesh, IrShalanu b'Aretz Shelanu.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Chai18 said...

feel better and have a Shanah Tova

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

OC,

First of all, refuah shlayma.

May G-d bless you and your family and may you be inscribed for a year of good health, peace and prosperity.

L'shana tova

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Menachem said...

you do realize that sharon pulled the plug on his own microphone, dont you?

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Ummm... First of all, I'd like proof of that. B/c there's no logical reason for him to have done that. Second of all, that wasn't really the point of what I wrote.
-OC

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: Before you feel too sorry for Sharon, please keep in mind the following:

1. Sharon is the master of all shtuyot at Likud conventions. Ask someone about some of the shtick he personally did. (grabbing microphones away from people, lowering the volumes on other mics, etc.)

2. It makes total sense for him to have pulled the plug. It gave people the incentive to feel sorry for him. All polls the night before showed him losing, and his could have given him the additional 80-something votes (out of 2800).

3. Walking out on Sharon is exactly what he deserved. He ignored the vote that he called for, and turned his back on the Likud membership and party platform.

4. The Likud is a very lively place - takes getting used to. Preaching at them won't change them at all.

5. Hope yo'ure feeling better, and a Shana Tova to you and your family!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Jameel, a couple of things. Again, the mic is not the point of the what I said. (However, polls is not resemble any semblence of proof that Sharon did anything wrong. Polls are, for the most part, meaningless.) You saying that walking out on him is exactly what he deserved goes more to my point. It doesn't matter if he "deserved" it or not, walking out on the leader of the land is not giving them the respect that they've earned. It shouldn't happen, period. That's my thought, at least. I'm not feeling sorry for anybody. I'm talking about tact, and, to me, what happened lacked any sense of Busha and respect.
Shana Tova and Metuka to you and your family.
-OC

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: He has lost any respect he "earned" through his actions.

At what point do you think it WOULD be acceptable to walk on on a "leader of the land"?

I'm sure you also have your limits...and alot of the merkaz have reached that already, so its only a matter of range between us.

The Gush Katif refugees are majorly messed up by the State now, have ZERO solutions for work (they told a ganenet last week from Gush katif to work in welding, since that was the position open...regardless that she has no welding qualifications.

To top it off -- Sharon said last week, Erev Rosh HaShana; he doesn't need to apologize to anymore. OK, fine, thats his perogative, but as a leader of the Jewish State, who really screwed thousands of families, offers minimal help, and then refuses to even apologize, I'm not sure he deserves any better.

Lets hope for a better year...

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: Since you live on French Hill, (which I drive past every day on my way to work in Jerusalem) here's a good trivia question for you:

Why is the Hebrew translation of French Hill totally wrong? (Giv'a HaTzarfatit)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Jameel, I'm not going to argue the points of the Disengagement once more with you, and I won't argue the various details that we both know. Sharon could drop another bomb on Hiroshima for all I care, and that still wouldn't garner him not getting respect. Again, maybe you've been out of the states for too long. But, from what I've learned, you just don't do what was done to him. Nothing justifies it, so there's really no point in bringing up different scenarios or points to try to prove to me that he deserved what he "got". I don't believe he screwed thousands of people. I do believe that there are people who are purposely screwing themselves right now. But, again, that's not the point of what I wrote.
As per the trivia question, I don't really understand that. It seems like a good translation to me. I don't understand why it's called Givat Shapira too, though. Do you?
-OC

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: I'm going to ignore Sharon for the rest of this thread.

French Hill gets its name from a British General called French. Therefore, since proper nouns aren't translated, but transliterated, it should be called "Givat French" not Giva HaTzarfatit.

Have a meaningful fast, and a Gmar Chatima Tova!

PS: More trivia next week: What do you call a car's front axle in Hebrew?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home