Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Monday, October 10, 2005

Don't Bother Me, It's October

Hey everyone,
For all of us sports fans, October is a very exciting month. With the exception of last year, hockey starts in the beginning of October. Football gets into full swing. Basketball will be starting soon. And, most of all, the Baseball playoffs are off to the races.

Being that I am now living in Israel, trying to stay alive for all of this is a bit of an obstacle. Yesterday night is a great example. While the Yankees Vs. Angels key game 4 started at 7:30 EST last night in the states, it started at 1:30 AM here (We already turned our clocks back an hour.). Well, due to the mass amount of rain that poured on New York, the game ended up starting a half an hour late. So, me, the husband, and the in-laws ended up staying up until about 5:30 in the morning to watch the Yankees pull off an exciting and nail biting 3-2 win to even the series. By the time, we went to bed, the sun was coming up. Now, we all have a problem. Game 5 will start again at 2 in the morning here, and we all have important things to do tomorrow. So, now, we don't think we'll be able to watch the game. We might go to bed early and wake up around 5, to catch the end. We'll have to see...

Fox Sports Israel shows one NFL game here every Sunday, at 8 in the evening, so that's good and fun. Saturday night was great for me. They were supposed to show the Yankees game, but it got rained out. So, instead, they showed the Red Wings Vs Blues game from Thursday night. Even though I knew the score to that game already, it was very exciting to see my boys at work, especially since there are so many new faces on the team. We're playing well so far. We soundly beat Calgary last night by a score or 6-3. Calgary is one of the favorites to win the Stanley Cup this year, so to beat them, I think, was a good indication that we're not in as bad a situation, so far, as everyone was thinking. Besides Montreal, we're the only team still undefeated. Looking good so far. I have to spend some time learning the new faces and numbers. For example, I've associated #11 with Mathieu Dandenault for about a decade now, that changing that to Dan Cleary is a bit of a job.

OK, back to baseball for a minute, yesterday we also watched the Astros Vs Braves game, on ESPN. What a game, that was! A deciding game 4. Either the Astros move on, or the Braves force a game 5. It looked wasted until the bottom of the 8th. I started watching the game during commercials of the Rams game that was being shown on Fox. It started at around 7 in the evening here. It was 6-1 by the bottom of the 8th. Looked like the Braves were going to ease into a sudden death game 5. But, for the first time in history, the Astros hit the second grand slam of the day, to make the score 6-5. Amazing but nothing yet... Then, in the bottom of the 9th, with 2 outs, the Astros hit a game tying home-run to send the game into extra innings. And, extra innings they went. By 1 in the morning, and the bottom of the 18th, we were thinking that this might go into the start of the Yankees game at that point. It didn't seem as if it was going to end anytime soon. We had just watched another FULL game!! Longest game ever!! Then, came what I thought was going to happen. With no bullpen left, the Astros had Roger "The Rocket" Clemens come in to pitch relief. The last time he had done that was in his rookie season with the Red Sox. He's 43 years old, for those of you who dont know. This has to be pretty comforting for the Astros. As a last resort, they still had one of the best pitchers in history coming in for them. The moment I knew that the game was going to go to the Astros, eventually, was when I looked at the other side. The last pitcher that the Braves had in their bull pen was a rookie pisher, who has just graduate college pitcher. It was only a matter of time. So, at the 5 hour 50 minute mark and the bottom of the 18th, the Astros hit a home run to win the game and the series. CLASSIC!!!

That's been the sports report from the Israel side of things. Thanks for tuning in. We'll see you next time. And, when you see your husband or brother or father zombied out on the couch watching a game... DON'T BOTHER HIM, IT'S OCTOBER!!!!
-OC

7 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Avi said...

Um... I have a solution -- get a VCR and tape it!

Did you take the ramah exam? (and what's your email again)

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Don't have a working VCR right now. I did take the exam. Have they already posted the grades?
-OC

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Avi said...

I don't know. I'm in chu"l but I emailed the Hebrew department and got my grade.

What's your email address (mine is linked to from my blogger profile)

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger R. said...

Hi "ola chadasha"!
What's up? Well.. I already wrote about it in the past. I guess it's because when you are abroad you just feel the need to be jewish, to be different. Here, I don't. Here I'm just one more Israeli jew at home. It's simple like this.

I didn't know your blog, but I would like to give a little tip. You don't say "oleh yashan", in Hebrew, but "oleh vatik"! Yashan is just for things, not for people!
I hope I don't sound disgusting with the correction! Sorry if I was! I just wanted to help!
Love,
Rinat

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks for that Rinat. That was my theory, but I wanted to hear someone else say it.

About the Oleh "Yashan" thing. No, don't feel bad about it at all. Actually, my husband put that up for himself. He's lived since he was 2. He did it to be cute, not to be correct. Thanks, though. I didn't know that Yashan only applies to things, not people. I'll keep that in mind.
-OC

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Mitch said...

Sorry I've been away for a bit. I wrote an explaination if you want to come over and read it. I'm lucky my husband and I like the same sports.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Olah,
It's me, Eitan from what was formerly "Hear Oh Israel" and is now "Hear, O Israel". Anyhow, I got back from vaccation in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely loved this post! Being a life-long White Sox fan things just couldn't be better. Unfortunately I didn't stay long enough to watch the World Series. Instead the day of the game I stopped by Mike's Place on the tayelet in Telli to watch the end of the game and the celebration that followed...GO SOX!!!

The Bears are only 4-3 but that's good enough for 1st in their division. Seems a bit crazy but hey, it's o.k. with me.

The Bulls won their first regular season game following an amazing come-back. I think they overcame a 25 point deficit.

I just wish I could watch these games. I've been living in Israel for 4 years and the one thing(other than family and friends) that I miss the most is American sports.

Gotta go to class(I'm studying in Tel-Aviv University aka yeshivat Yahad).

Lehitraot, Eitan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home