Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Sunday, January 01, 2006

What To do....what to do....

Hey all,
Well, long time, no blog. As Eitan guessed, after I was cleared to start writing and typing again, I got completely swamped with school work that I was unable to do when I couldn't write. I also had a massive seminar paper to get done by the end of New Year's Eve. So, now, I have about 5 minutes to breathe. I still have another project to do that was supposed to be turned in last wk. Busy with school is really all I've been up to lately. Nothing so exciting to report. Though, I do have a story to tell, which in turn asks for some advice.

Being that I am in my 20s and made Aliyah while I was already engaged, joining Tzahal was not an option for me. Now that I'm married, the door's been closed that much more. I am very regretfull about this and really wish I could have contributed my service. As I married into an Israeli family, I get to sort of live the army experience, vicariously, through them. My father-in-law has served in the Army for the past 20 plus years. He's now a Major (res) and hopes to make Lt. Col. soon. I'm not really at liberty to talk about what he does. My husband is a second Lt (res). I always love hearing stories about his soldiers and his different experiences in the Shtachim (Territories). Some of them are funny, and some of them are very sad. His younger sister was a medic and completed her service before I met her, but now his second youger sister has just joined. So, I get to have the experience of seeing what it's like for her. She was picked to be in an elite unit of the Totchanim (Artillery) and it's been interesting. (In the future, when you hear about the IDF shelling Gaza, she might be one of those guys you see on TV.) On one hand, her Mifakdim (commanders) have all told her that she's better than the rest of the girls and even better than a lot of the guys. And, she's really working hard to be the best. On the other hand, she says she doesn't want to be Kravi (combat). She says that she wants to be a Madricha (Instructor) instead.

Now, the dillema here for me is what kind of advice can I give her. When my husband and sister-in-law give her advice, they're talking from experience and knowledge. What can I offer her? I've never been in the Army and have no prior or personal experience to offer her. I'm totally green. So, now, whenever we're at the in-laws, or she calls my husband to talk about problems, I totally shut my mouth and don't say a word. One one hand, I think that that's the best thing to do. On the other hand, I feel bad and somewhat jealous that I can't contribute anything and that I can't relate to or totally understand what they're talking about. When they make Army jokes and stuff like that, I'm completely dense. Am I being a good sister-in-law by just staying out of it? Is there anyway I can get involved? I know that many of you that read this blog have been or are going in Tzahal, and those of you who are in my shoes will know what I mean, can offer some advice.

That's about all for now. I hope everyone had a great Chanuka. I don't know if any non-Jews read the blog, but if there, I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. I also hope everyone has a very happy and healthy New Year.
-OC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home