Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Monday, February 06, 2006

The Steel Curtain Crashes the Seahawks

Well, my predictions weren't exactly correct. The Steelers did in fact win, as I predicted. But... the score was 21-10 instead of 27-20. I was very happy, and it was well worth having to stay up until 5 in the morning to watch the whole game.

As I predicted, the Steel Curtain defense, for the most part, took care of the Seahawks' all-star offense. They, essentially, shut down Shaun alexander's running game, and their great passing game onlly happened in the first quarter. The Seahawks also shot themselves in the foot with some costly penalties at the exact time that they had potentially made some momentum changing catches. They also made some sloppy plays at the end of the second and fourth quarters, running the clock down without making a play and then mismanaging the call. At the end of the game, with about 40 seconds left, the Seahawks were trying to go down the field for a quick field goal and then on-side kick. But, on 3rd down, Hasselbeck threw a pass to the side-lines. His guy couldn't get out of bounds. The clock was at 14. He couldn't spike the ball, so he had to throw it, hail mary style, into the end zone. Pass incomplete. 3 seconds left. Steelers get the ball back, took a knee, and won. Not exactly executed the way the Seahawks would have liked.

On the other end, the Steelers started out slow and lethargic but started turning it up towards the end of the first half. Roethlisberger made some key throws and runs to get the Steelers the lead and keep them there. He wasn't perfect, throwing two interceptions, one at the goal-line, which could have cost them the game if not for their own defense's interception. But, he did run in the ball for a controversial touchdown after throwing a great pass on a 3rd and 28 situation. With a little over 2 minutes left in the 4th, he ran the ball on a quarterback sneak on a 3rd down to keep the clock ticking.

Overall, it wasn't exactly the amazing match up I thought it was going to be. But, it was still a pretty good game. It was also really awesome watching the "Bus" win a Super Bowl in his home-town in the last game of his career. It was a great thing to see. Can't wait until next year!

3 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

I'm glad you had a good time watching the game. BTW: when are finals @ Hebrew U?

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Shtender said...

I have never seen such one-sided officiating in my life. Not blaming the loss on that, but it bordered on the ridiculous.

Doesn't really matter to me either way, I'm a Giants fan. :(

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Eitan, I'm a MA student, so I don't really have any finals, only a lot of big papers. And, they're due this month and in April, and then whenever I want to hand them in. Masters are fun.

Shtender, oh I thought the officiating was not of Super Bowl calliber also. Personally, I believe the call on Roethlisberger's touchdown was correct, but I don't think the on field official should have called it a TD. I also thought the call on Hasselbeck when he made that tackle on the interception in the second half was pretty weak. So, all in all, I completely agree with you. I also am a Giants fan. I hope the Manning curse doesn't last for very long, and Eli can get the boys there next year.
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home