Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Losing Weight, Wk 3 (**STICKIED**)

Well, I'm back home. Vacation's over. School has officially begun again. Oh yeah, and I haven't done any of my papers that from last semester. None of them are due yet, but I had hoped to get at least one done by now. They're all due within the next month. Time to get cracking! But, alas, this post is about this past week's weight endeavor. So, let's get open for business.

Being that we were at my in-laws, any chance for my normal scheduled work-outs went straight out the window. So, instead, my husband and I made two committments before we went up there. 1) I think I've mentioned this, maybe not, but my mother-in-law is huge on snacks. She's also gotten into this thing of trying to find pareve snacks for me. (I think I spoke briefly about this topic.) Anyways, we decided that we were going to only allow ourselves one small snack a day and try to avoid even that. Then, we were going to try to keep our portion sizes minimal since his mom is a great cook but insists on using some of the most fattening ingredients. Not very conducive to those of us trying to keep and take the pounds off. 2) We were going to go for 30-45 minute power walks every day. Since the in-laws live on top of a hill, there are lots of ups and downs, steep inclines and rocks to tread over. It's like a hiking suburb. Awesome. So instead of just leisurely walking around, we took some paths up and down the hill. Trust me, lots of good sweating involved.

I'm glad to say that we stuck to both committments pretty darn good. There was some very delicious baklawa aroung the house, and even with the incessent craving calling out to me every minute, I only had one the whole time we there. For those of you who don't know, baklawa is this incredibly sweet Middle Eastern treat, with various kinds of nuts and honey sprinkled on the top. SOOOOOOO SOOOOOO good. This is why I have truly ascribed to the philosophy of "It's not there, you can't eat it". Out of site, out of mind, and that is why the only snacks we have in my apartment is whole weat crackers and dark chocolate (for the husband). This way, I don't need will power. If there aren't any fattening snacks in the house, you don't have to use will power in order to stop yourself from giving into cravings. It was soo hard not to eat a lot of the snacks that were around the house.

The only time we gave into cravings was this past Friday night. We celebrated my father-in-law's 50th birth-day with a huge dinner at the Moadon on the Yishuv. Lots of people making tons of delicious food. 8 different kinds of salads. About 20 different kinds of main courses. 4 different kinds of cakes and pies for desert. My husband and I agreed that we had earned a little splurging but that we would pace ourselves and strategise our meal, so we could eat the most delicious foods without totally over-eating and wasting everything we have accomplished these past 2 weeks.

So, we said we would pick only 2-3 of the salads to eat, so we could pick 3-4 of the main courses, and only 1 piece of desert. The tactical planning worked out great. By the time we got to desert, we had paced ourselves so well that I was too full to eat even half a piece of pie, nor did I even want to. I felt really proud of myself, and it was a great party except for this cold that I got.

Anyways, I plan on working out even with my cold. I can't really breathe that well, so I'm going to do not over-due myself. But, I am still going to excercise. It's nice to be back at home where I don't have to use will power. It feels like a huge weight as been lifted off my shoulders. I don't feel like I'm fighting with myself every time I'm sitting around the house.

Anyways, that's the weight loss bulletin for this past week. I'll be back next week with some more news. How are your weight loss struggles going?

8 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

OC-
I know this has nothing to do with the post, but I just wanted to let u know my folks are in town(telli) and we're taking a trip to J'lem this Thursday. So...I'd like to see whether maybe we could get together. I'm sending u this as a comment b/s I couldn't figure out how to find your email. Please let me know what you think about getting together over a cup of coffee/tea:) in general by way of either a comment on my site or an email(my address is: enigman81@hotmail.com)

Hope to hear from you, Eitan.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Sure, Eitan. That would be really cool. Just click on my profile, then you'll see my email address. Or, I'll email you, but I would love to try to get together.
-OC

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

BMI is a really poor way of measuring your weight status. Mine says that I'm within the healthy range, but I can plainly see that that's not the truth. I would not go by it if I were you. If you're questioning your progress, you can always consult with a doctor to really find out. But, if you feel good, and you think you've achieved your goals, then don't bother listening to the BMI. Also, if you go to another site, it might say something different. There are various ways to calculate it. Don't worry about it.
-OC

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Aliyah party?

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

DM, what's going on?

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yeah, that baklawa stuff is very tempting. I can't believe I only gave in to having one piece the entire 10 days I was there. Eating before you go out to a place you know there's going to be lots of food is an excellent strategy. Well, I haven't lost any weight yet, but I believe I may have taken off a couple of inches as my clothes are starting to feel a tiny bit looser. I hope it's not just my imagination. With my body type, I tend to put on muscle mass instead of lean muscle, so I get bulky instead of slim. I have to figure out a way around that. I'm not exactly sure how. Got any ideas?
-OC

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Who's we?

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks. I'll think I'll try that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home