Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Losing Weight, Wk 4 (**STICKIED**)

So, today's my 24th birth-day and the start of week 5 of my weight loss program. I've been working out 6 times a week and cutting out 95% of snacks and 100% of soft drinks from my diet. The result? No weight loss so far. I weighed myself this morning and was sad to see no progress. I feel like I'm on the right track, but it is a bit dissapointing to see that nothing's come off so far. It was also exacerbated by the fact that I woke up not feeling well and have been only feeling worse over the course of the day. I don't think I will be able to work out tonight, so I will have to make it up later in the week.

I don't really have much to say. I've had a frustrating week. Not workout wise, but life wise. I signed up for my first class in hebrew this semester, and it was very dissapointing. I felt so stupid. I thought I had come far enough in my hebrew that I could hold up fine in an all-hebrew class. But, then I sit in the class, and I see or feel that I still have another Grand Canyon to cross. It's been very disheartening, especially for the fact that it's in the subject that I reall want to learn. This english MA program that I'm in right now is not what I want to do with my life. I want to become a Forensic Psychologist, and this hebrew class is Offender Profiling and Crime Scenes. So, here I am, thinking that I'm in heaven. Finally, I can get back on track to what I reall wanted to do. Then, I sit down, and I can barely understand anything that the guy's talking about. Everyone's taking reams of notes, and I've got only a few lines. Plus, this guy is nowhere close to be any sort of expert in the field of Profiling; the field that I am very interested in specializing in. I just wanted to break down and cry. I did later on. I walked out, thinking to myself that I could be sitting in a classroom at John Jay and understand everything that's going on and have every teacher that's the fore-front experts in what they're teaching. It was probably my very first moment of "I want to be back in the states" that I've had since I've moved here. I actually felt guilty about it. I mean, I made this decision freely. I knew that it would be tough, but I told myself that I would work hard to achieve what I want.

But, I think my frustrations stemmed from the fact that I thought I was getting better with my hebrew. Obviously, that's not true, and it hurts. It makes me wonder if I'll ever get there. OK, now, I have tears coming back in my eyes. I just see myself having to be relogate to teaching English or something for the rest of my life because I can't command the language well enough to get a job in what I want to do. I have a BA, and it could be toilet paper here. It's worth that little right now. I'm sorry. It's just that I feel that one thing should be easy in my life. Whatever. It's just school, right? It's stupid to get this upset over it.

Anyways, I'm also a bit frustrated that I haven't lost any weight. Maybe, I'm still doing something wrong. I don't know. I feel that I'm making progress, so I'm just going to keep plugging away. Do any of you have any advice or suggestions as to why I haven't lost a pound in the past month of really sticking to working out 6 days a week and modifying my diet? Anything would be appreciated. Sorry for the rant. I'll be better next week. Don't worry about me.

17 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Hey OC -

Happy happy birthday! Don't get all bent out of shape over school...the Hebrew part is far from easy, and youre studying for a Masters at a University which is also pretty rough.

In any event - we're rooting for you (and for the weight loss).

Purim Sameach!

Jameel & co.
The Muqata

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks for your support, Jameel. It means a lot. Don't worry about me. I'll get out of this funk soon, I hope. Chag Sameach!
-OC

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Chai18 said...

chag sameach and dont worry everything will work out

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Avi said...

פורים סמח
יום הולדת סמח

נדבר ביום ב

We'll talk Tues.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Avi said...

oops, I misspelled Sameach. שמח

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

am, I know enough hebrew to understand what you wrote. ;-p Thanks, everyone, for your kind words. I know things will work out OK.
-OC

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks Ezzie!
-OC

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata said...

OC: Shushan Purim Sameach!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Back at ya, Jameel!!

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I can really use it right now.
-OC

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Life is a journey, it sounds like yours is pretty good.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

whatever, thanks for the encouragement. I know it'll take time. I just have to keep plugging away.

life's shack, I hope you're right.

DM, no!!!
-OC

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger M. Simon said...

Forget profiling.

PTSD is probably way more important in estimating who might be inclined to take his/her grievances out on society.

Police and PTSD.

BTW Israel is the best country to be in re: PTSD research.

Aftermath.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

m.simon, profiling isn't a process that "predicts the future". That's a misunderstanding of what profiling is. Profiling only comes into play after a crime is already committed and predicts future evalution of crime based on the existing signatured and MO of a current crime. Based on the crime, they can also describe the type of person that the police should be looking for. There are hundreds more reasons for a why person commits a heinous crime outside of PTSD. So, profiling is recognized, and has been for the past 20+ years, as being a vital took in criminal investigations.
-OC

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Daer OC, you realy helped me get back to blogging when I needed the support so all the support you're getting now is not unwarranted in my estimate. Anyhow, sorry on the late b-day greetings,and hey...you're younger than I am(but more mature of course:)

See you sometime soon hopefully, Eitan.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Well... we'll see about that. ;-p
-OC

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Actually, I was invited to come to J'lem today to some political event but declined out of fear I'd get in a fight with some lefty which is what always seems to end up happening. So my wife phoned me and told me something along the lines of "over my dead body"...I didn't go this time:)

-Eitan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home