Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Friday, April 21, 2006

It's Playoff Time!!

ALERT!! ALERT!! You are about to enter THE... SPORTS ZONE!!! Alright, all you hockey fans and sports fans, playoff time is here again. It's time for some exciting edge of your seat, bite your finger nails, I can't watch what's happening action. It's my favorite time of year. The suns coming out. It's getting warmer all the time. More more rain or snow. It's playoff time!

Both hockey and basket-ball playoffs start this week-end. And, I'm a bit spoiled this year. As most of you already know, I'm a huge Detroit Red Wings fan. I'm also a Detroit Pistons fan. Now, I don't follow basket-ball as much as I do hockey, but I am still a big Pistons fan. This season, both had the best records in their respective leagues. Both come into the playoffs with high expectations to win it all, but with most everyone else doubting that they'll actually be able to do it. That makes for some exciting sports.

The Pistons are in a lackluster Eastern Conference, where all the teams in their division qualified for the playoffs, but 3 of them have records under .500. That's not so good. So, I would expect at least the first couple of rounds to be a cake walk for the Pistons. Therefore, those first couple of rounds won't really be that exciting to watch. I'll follow, but I'm really looking forward to the Conference Finals for them. That's why I'm not even going to discuss the first round match-up.

The Wings are in the extremely tough Western Conference (yes, it's funny how that happened.). They will be playing the eighth seed Edmonton Oilers. Even-though they're the last place team to qualify, they only finished four points behind the 5th place finishers, so this will be a very close match-up. If the Wings can get ahead in the first 2 games, this can be a quick series. If the Oilers manage to keep the series close, then it will be a tough one. If the Oilers can push the series to 6 or even 7 games, then it will be unpredictable. I'm saying the Wings in 6. The Oilers have speed, but their goaltending is anything but impressive. I know that the same might be able to said for the Wings. However, Wings' goalie Manny Legace has had a much better record and a lot of solid momentum coming into the playoffs. Oilers' new goalie, Dwayne Roloson has not. Now, I know I said that Roloson was a good pick-up for the Oilers, but he hasn't really seemed to be able to click into his new team. I don't know if he'll just be able to turn it around come playoff time. For the sake of argument, if we say that the goalie match-up is considered even, then the Wings have the clear edge.

But, this is what playoff time is all about, especially in hockey. You just never know. The first game starts tonight. We'll see what happens...

6 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Olah: I'm ruding (as usual) for the Bullies to upset Miami and I earnestly believe they will or at least take it all the way to game 7. I love the Wing's chances but think the Pistons will lose to San Antonio in the Finals. Nice to see Detroit doing so well overall though!

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Hmm, interesting predictions, my friend. But, I think Detroit has what it takes this year to beat San Antonio. The city of Detroit has been hit by a lot of economic down-falls recently. It's great to see some positive spirit and some money brought into the town. I may have left the place, but I still root for its success.
-OC

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

Olah: since I'm staying up to follow the progress of the Bulls' game(we don't have Kvalim or Yes!) online, just wanted to stop by and wish you a shavua tov...Oh and I've tagged you. Check out my last post for details!

Greg.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Cavs over Pistons in the Second Round!! Lebron is King!! (Okay, wishful thinking. But ya never know... :) )

And I'm disappointed. A post about sports playoffs, and you start with... HOCKEY!? That's not a real sport! That's something Canadians do.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

...Ugh. :)

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

My dear Ez, that's because you don't have a hockey team. That went to Columbus instead. I know it's created a lower sense of self-esteem. Never fear. There are other things in life to keep you company. But, I don't think the Cavs can beat the Pistons. They don't have the depth. Sorry. Better luck next year.
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home