Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Are you, are we ready for this?

I don't know if I'll ever be ready for it. If you have been reading this blog for any significany amount of time, you know that I was a resident of New York and in the city on September 11th, 2001. I have written my experience of that day, and I can't believe that this Semptember will the 5th anniversary of the World Trade Center and Pentagon attacks, as well as commemorating those of United flight 93. A couple of weeks ago, United 93 came out in theaters to much dispute. Was America ready for a 9/11 movie? Are we prepared to see those gruesome and excruciatingly moving images of that strark beautiful day all over again? To my mind, those images haven't been shown enough. In my mind, the country needs to be reminded of the evil the whole world is up against every single damn day. I also think that that country needs to be reminded of the incredible heroism that those passengers exhibited under amazingly extraordinary circumstances. But, Flight 93 didn't fly into the World Trade Towers. The stark images of watching the second flight crash into the second tower live on TV is something that I see in my mind's eye almost every day. The images of the Towers coming down still make me cry as they are shown on TV. Seeing that live and in color was something that I will never forget and be able to get out of my nightmares.

So, to know that the first movie is coming out about just that sends chills up my spine. It brings tears choking in my throat. It is the story of the only 2 rescue workers who were, themselves, rescued after the towers came crashing down. To my recollection, only 3 survivors were saved and recovered amongst the Tower rubble. This is the story of 2 of them. Are you ready for this? Are we ready for this? My answer is that I have no idea, but I believe we have to be.

8 Comments:

At 3:07 AM, Blogger BHCh said...

Wow; it's not what you'd expect from that blog...

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger BHCh said...

sorry, this comment relates to the post entitled "interesting insights from interesting places"

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

No, it aint. But, that's the problem. Why is it that some-one who is pro-Palestinian or even Palestinian can't criticize their own government without being seen as "switching to the other side"? Is that how bad it's gotten? Sad. Getting more like Germany every-day.
-OC

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger JJ said...

I agree with you 100% re. 9/11. One thing about humans- we forget things awfully quickly. Sometimes that's good, but in this case I think the world needs to be reminded over and over again of what happened on that terrible day, to be reminded that there are evil forces at work out there who want to kill us.

I think we in Israel understand this pretty well, but most people out there need to be hit over the head with the fact that extreme, fanatical Islam is a major threat to the world, and by forgetting, we're opening the door for them to carry out their evil deeds again.

So yes, I think the world is ready for this movie- whether they think so or not.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Gert said...

I don't think it's what the world needs right now: a potential blockbuster on 9/11. What it needs in intelligent, profound and measured debate on how to counter the threat of extremist Islam. The movie is likely to stir up a lot of emotion but little else. Well, apart from the fact that a few will get a couple of million bucks richer of course...

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Jerusalemcop said...

Wow. Very powerful preview.

For the last two months, I have been waiting to find out when United 93 will come out here in Israel. Now I have another movie to anticipate.

I think the world needs to see movies like this.

The heroism from that dark day needs to be shown.

They say that only in the most dire circumstances, people's true faces come out.

I am a firm believer that there is more good in the world than evil and people need to see this.

Movies are the way messages like these can get out.

I say it's about time.

J.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger the sabra said...

!
woah
thanks for postin the preview, olah.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

No problem. I figured that not many people knew about this, and being that I was there on that fateful day, I felt that I had to post about it. You know what I mean?
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home