Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

One Year Since Disengagement

(If you don't shed at least one tear when you watch this, you're not human.)
It is 1 year, today, since history took place and almost 10,000 Jews were evacuated from their homes in the Gaza Strip and parts of Samaria in Israel's unilateral withdrawal. One year later, and I can see the folly of my ways. Last year, I advocated the Disengagement, purely for military purposes. I believed, perhaps naively now, that based on what Sharon and the government spent months preaching, Israel would be in a stronger position to fight terrorism than they were with 8,000+ people living in the lion's den. Sharon told us all that after we left Gaza, if ONE Kassam rocket was launched into Israel, Israel would be in an excellent military position to fight and defeat the terrorists, it would be considered and act of war, and Israel would have the moral high-ground to fight back. Well, one year and over 1,000 Kassam rockets later, those promises have rung hollow in Israel's ears. We never attacked after the first rocket fell in Sderot mere days after Israel completed the withdrawal on September 12th. Instead, we created some useless "buffer zone". Since our lack of resolve, Palestinian terrorist groups have launched rockets into Israel with abandon, and it has only intensified their resolve to fight us. The only attack against these groups started after Gilad Shalit was kidnapped. In my mind, too little too late. If we had done what had been promised to us, it is possible that Hamas wouldn't have been elected into government. Has the Disengagement worked? Absolutely, unequivicably NO! Gaza is a state in chaos and anarchy. The Palestinians have destroyed more than they have created in there. Hezbollah started a war specifically because they did not believe that Israel would fight back the way they did. Where would they get those ideas from? Look at the history from the past 6 years, and figure it out.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I have been a conservative right-wing person since I was about 15 and read P.J. O'Roarke's Parliament of Whores. However, since last September, I have watched my country's government betray and lie to me after they justified kicking people out their homes in order to protect us better. They lied, and I have become even more right-wing since then. Interpret that any way you want. I don't care. You don't evict some-one from them home and then spit on their faces by then going ahead and not proving and reinforcing your justifications for throwing them to the dogs. The families of Gush Katif have been treated appallingly bad since the Disengagement. Many of them still do not have permanent homes. I still support the military purposes of the Disengagement. However, the government, being the monopoly of force like any other just democracy, have lied and squandered away the countless opportunities to actually step up to the plate, put their money where their mouth is, and make this country safer. Instead, the country is worse off then it was a year ago, and it will only get worse before it gets better. The only way it will get better is when Olmert and his Convergence/Reallignment/Disengagement/Withdrawal/Word of the Day Plan gets booted out of the government. We need a LEADER in power. I don't know who that leader is, but that's the only way things will get better. I am "orange" now, and I say: NO MORE!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 11:25 AM, Blogger Cosmic X said...

"I am "orange" now."


Better late than never OC :)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

There's still A LOT of work to do. I think it's more important now than ever. Thanks for the props.
-OC

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Fern @ Life on the Balcony said...

OC--I'm right there with you. I too supported disengagement because I thought Israel would be stronger militarily. Now it seems so obvious that the exact opposite is true. I just can't believe Olmert hasn't figured it out yet. And I especially hope that he has at least put his disengagement plans on hold now that Hizballah is marching all over the place proclaiming victory in Lebanon. :-(

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Unfortunately, he hasn't. 2 weeks ago, he said that the war with Hezbollah would give his Disengagement Plan MOMENTUM. I don't know which part of his brain has shut down, but something has snapped his sanity. G-d only knows what he's thinking in that brain of his.
-OC

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Oh, I meant to say, I cried watching this. And I agree, you'd have to be inhuman not to.

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

That was hard to watch, but important to see.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Yes, exactly!
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home