Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Sunday, October 22, 2006

High Vs. Rest/Rust

Two things. One, the World Series was last night, and a few things were realized. In baseball, a long layoff is not a good thing. Players are used to playing everyday for over half a year. Getting a week off is like slashing every single one of your tires 5 minutes after you just bought all 4 new ones. The Tigers game off of a 7 game playoff winning streak, getting into the 'Ship after a 4 game sweep in heroic moving ending fashion; bottom of the 9th, 2 out home-run. 10 minutes later the reality sets in. We're going to the World Series.... IN A WEEK. WE HAVE TO WAIT A WHOLE WEEK UNTIL WE PLAY AGAIN. Which, leads to the second problem that sets in: NERVES. When 18 out of your 25 players are in the playoffs for the first time ever, let alone the World Series, I don't care how professional you are. The nerves are going to set in. The questions and "What ifs" are going to be floating around your head, regardless of how much you try to keep them out. They're in the newspaper and on the TV. You can't get away from it unless you live in a bubble for that week. These factors showed last night with Detroit's sloppy and disjointed play against St. Louis. The Cards came off of winning their NLCS in a 7 game, also, movie ending fashion. But, they had done that just 2 nights prior to last night's game. They were still riding the hight, and they didn't have a work's worth of rust and questions to brush off. They got to celebrate for 5 minutes and then had to rush right into the World Series, with no time to really think or absorb it. I think reality has not sunk in for the Tigers, and we'll see a completely different team on the field tonight.

Second part. I'm in a blogging rut. I really feel that right now, I don't have much to give and much to write. This summer sucked something aweful. It really took a lot out of me and my husband. We were taking turns blogging non-stop during those tumultuous 5 weeks in order to bring non-Israelis the information they needed to stay properly informed. Now, I just don't care. I don't have the energy to write about stupid Israeli politics. I am disgusted by what's going on here right now, but I just don't care to write about it. I'm starting school and finishing up my MA degree. Right now, I just don't feel like I have the energy to write about anything "important". So, for the next little while, I'll just be writing about "whatever". Whatever comes to my head, that's what I'll write about. Today, it was sports. That's it.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

It's all right. Everyone needs a break from politics. Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever you choose to write about!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thank Irina!!
-OC

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger westbankmama said...

Oh boy, do I know how that feels! The summer and its constant war blogging was very hard - so now I am also not writing at all about politics (what can anyone say except YUCK?). I am thinking about some personal stories to write about though. Enjoy your break.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks, wbm. I'm soooo happy to hear I'm not the only one going through this. And, yes, absolutely Y-U-C-K!!!
-OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home