Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Thursday, November 16, 2006

How Jerusalem does it's best to chase people away

So, 45 days before the end of 2006 Jerusalem municipality finally sent us the Arnona (City Taxes) for this year. I must say they were nice about it and gave us all of 14 days to pay it before we start having to pay fines on it.

What is more amusing is the price. We live in the French Hill and as such we must pay 83 Nis a Square meter for our apartment (that is in total 63 Sqm). The good news is that we get a discount since the Wife made Aliyah in the past 2 years, so for 6 months we only have to pay 10% of the full amount.

The end result is that we have 15 days to pay over 3000 NIS in city taxes (down from over 5000). Of course if we ask they will give us time to pay it off, but it still amuses me that they would do this in such a way. Also given that we live in a relatively small place I would hate to think what it costs in the larger Apartments in the city.

It should also be said that part of this has to do with an order from the Govt. to raise Arnona by 3% for this year, but it is still a lot of money to be paying for a 2 bedroom apt. Just for comparison, my parents who live in the north, in a 225 Sqm house pay about the same as we are paying here.

Oh ya, what's the point of all this? Well Jerusalem in it's current state is constantly loosing it's young people. Most students who come here do not stay, same is true about a lot of young people who grew up here. For a few years now the city has been trying to encourage young people to stay in the city, and to create a strong younger population here, that can work here (Har Hotzvim), and have a good time (Emeq Refaim, and the Center). They have invested a lot of funds trying to do this, and even offer all sorts of subsidies for people who move here, or for students who stay here after school.

So the same city that is trying to get us to stay needs to get the funding from somewhere, so that is where the Arnona comes in. So a student who lives in the city would have to find another 2500 NIS a year to cover the taxes from the city. Isn't there any discount for students?? Well, actually no there isn't. You can only get a discount if you don't work (low income discount).

So in the end, this is another reason why The Wife and I, will be leaving Jerusalem the first chance we get, and moving somewhere, well, nicer. This isn't the only reason and not even a main reason but it definitely does not help the convincing us to stay in the great city.

READ THE REST...


Fullpost text ...

9 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger Texas Bankruptcy Nerd said...

What can be said other than it costs lots of money in tax dollars to commit genocide?

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

You really don't when to stop, do you? You lefties really don't know how to do anything other than throw accusations, name calling, and rhetoric, eh? You really should learn how to actually make an argument or some sort of point. Either, you play by the rules or stop commenting. Really, sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut. Better to keep your keep your mouth shut and be thought of a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
-OC

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Texas Bankruptcy Nerd said...

yeah if people kept their mouths shut I'm sure there would be democracy and checked power, yessiree!

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger Toto said...

come to Mevasseret Zion!!! The arnona isn't low, but it's soooo nice here! :)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Texas Bankruptcy Nerd said...

Hey Olah/Oleh:

I have a post that might interest you. It keeps with my anti-Zionist theme to be sure, which is bound to earn your objections - but before you refuse to read it out of hand, I wanted to get your opinions on the statements I make about Judaism in it.

Failing that, just give me your general reactions - particularly in this discussion, they would be quite valuable. I will return the favor by toning down my rhetoric on your blog to a cool dissent.

Here's the article: The Gifts of the Jews

Bete'avon!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Oleh Yahshan said...

Behemoth,
I will start by saying, to continue what my wife posted, that I am not sure what the point of your post here was.

As I see it there are only 2 options:
1. either you really do believe that what you wrote is true, and that Jerusalem uses it's budget to "commit genocide" as you put it, in which case you are a lot dumber (or just naive) that I though you were, Or (more likely)
2. You are just saying this to be annoying. And then one has to ask, WHY?? What do you gain by being annoying on other peoples blogs?

As for the post that you put up I will take a look at it (as I do with a lot of things you write), and decide if it's worth my time to comment on it.

Emah s.
Mevaseret is a nicer place to live, although if we were to stay in the Jer. Area we would have liked to live in Ma'ale Adumim, that is really a nice place to live.

But most likely we will head up north to the Galil area (nicest place in the country in my opinion).


שבת שלום

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Behemoth, I appreciate you trying to plug on our site. I know you get like the same 2 readers a day on yours, so getting the word out is important. But, I have to say if you want to keep advertising on our site, we're going to have to start charging.

Emah, yes, I know it's really pretty over there. We're only in the Hill for convenience purposes. Once we're done, we're out of here for more northern views.
-OC

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Oh, yeah, Behemoth I forgot something. Yes, in a democracy you can say what you like. But, this is NOT a democracy. This is a blog, and I can make whatever rules I like here. You do NOT have complete freedom of speech. Outright lies, name calling, and baseless accusations are not as acceptable here as they are in democracies.

Second, can on the couch for a minute. Tell me, what are you "struggling" against or with? Don't like that Jewish blood running through you? Wish your parents were atheists? Or, do you just want to fit in with your friends? Please, tell us. I'm listening.
-OC

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Texas Bankruptcy Nerd said...

Ole,

Your comment did not post on my blog. Do re-post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home