Welcome to Israel Rules!

Powered by WebAds

Monday, May 07, 2007

You Want To Interview Me???

OK, that's not really true. I agreed to be interviewed. I volunteered to have Oleh Michael interview me with some questions for a meme. The rules are simple: Answer five questions, asked by the person from whom you received the meme, and allow folks to volunteer to be interviewed in turn. You can also read Oleh Michael's questions and answers. I want to make one program note before I pose my questions and answers. The husband and I have just, thank G-d, gotten a new full time job. The hours are a bit messed up, so posting regularly might be a bit of a problem until we get used to the schedules. Please be patient with us. Regularly scheduled programming will return shortly. Stay tuned!!!
1) Like me, you grew up in Michigan. What part, what are the 3 things about it that you miss the most, and what are the 3 things about it that you don't
miss at all?

I grew up about a mile and a half outside of Detroit. It's a small city
suburb called Oak Park. The 3 things I miss most about Oak Park? First is my
friends. There isn't a ton of stuff to do in Oak Park, so we were really
good at making our own fun, whether it was driving around for hours, hanging
out at the park, or hanging out at the 7-11, or just chillin' with a movie
at some-one's house, we knew how to make our own good time. I have a lot of
friends that still live in Oak Park, and I really miss them. The second
thing I miss the most is slurpees. Manhattan doesn't have a 7-11, and Israel
definitely does NOT have one. I really miss Slurpees. I haven't had one in
almost 4 years. The 3rd thing I miss most about about Oak Park is my family.
The reason they're last is because they're making Aliyah also, so I won't be
missing them for very much longer. As a consolation 3rd, I really miss being
able to watch my Red Wings at normal hours. I have to stay up to listen to
games that are on some times as late as 5 in the morning. It can be a bit
difficult. I still get to keep up to date. I just wish I could see the
games.
The 3 things I won't miss? The first thing is the community. My side of Oak
Park is very religious. The Yeshiva is right across the street from my
house. Any-one that didn't go to the super-orthodox school was considered
diverting from the path and sure to burn in hell. After my mom put us in a
modern orthodox Zionist day school, she had people in our neighborhood
stopping her on the street to tell her how bad of a mother she was for
taking us out of Yeshiva and Beis Yaakov. I also got looks and was called
names when I was seen wearing pants and hanging out with boys. The 2nd thing
I won't miss about Oak Park is the monotony. I always knew I didn't belong
there, and ever since seeing the drama and rolling hills and mountains of
northern Israel, I realize how BORING the suburbs can really be. The 3rd
thing I don't miss about Oak Park... there really isn't a 3rd thing. I just
didn't belong there, and I never liked the people. Other than that, it's a
great place to raise a family, if you like that kind of community. I have
nothing against it in that way.

2) As olim, it's a given that we all love Israel, but sometimes it can be
difficult. How long have you been here, and what have been the 3 greatest
challenges?

I have been here since November, 2004. The first greatest challenge by far
has been the language barrier. I have caught on in comprehension and
reading, but I'm the type of person that doesn't like to look or sound
stupid. So, it's been a rough going getting my confidence up well enough
where I feel comfortable having a conversation with someone in Hebrew. If
there would be a Ulpan program to do that, I'd take it in a second. The
second greatest challenge has been the driving. Honestly, I'm scared to get
my license because I'm really afraid to drive here. I'm not just talking
about the drivers, either. I'm also talking about the curves, the uphill
climbs, and the windy roads. The Midwest is totally flat, so I have no
experience navigating this type of terrain. I've been putting off getting my
license because of it. Also, because Kilometers are higher relative to its
speed in miles, I always feel that I'm going faster when I'm not. That's a
problem to get used to. I'm also looking for a good place to test. If anyone
has had any good experiences with a driving instructor and test location,
please let me know. I know everyone says that bureaucracy is a problem for
them, but I haven't had such a bad time with it. Actually, my 3rd biggest
challenge has been getting to understand the Israeli Parliamentary System. I
am very into politics and have only known a Presidential system. Getting
familiar and also getting comfortable with the Parliamentary system has been
a problem, and I have many problems with it. So, that's actually been a bit
frustrating for me.

3) I asked my other volunteer this one, but I like it, so: If you could have
the ear of one world leader for 10 minutes, and know that your advice would
be heeded, who would you talk to, what would you say, and why?

Oh man, this is a really tough question. I would have to say that because of
what's going on in the states today, with the war in Iraq being politicized
now, and our troops being used as pawns in the Democrats' political games, I
would have to say that I would talk to President Bush. I would tell him to
remind the nation what he said in the aftermath of 9/11; that this war
against terror would be long, it would outlast him and maybe our generation,
that it would be an arduous road that would cost lives. When he said it
then, the Democrats seemed to be in unity with him. But, I guess when they
said they knew it would be a long battle, they thought he meant no longer than
the 2 weeks it took to beat back Saddam back in the Gulf War, or that it
would take no longer than the time it takes to microwave a Hot Pocket. I would
tell him to tell the nation that if the U.S. troops abandon Iraq now, Iran
would simply fill the void, gain more power, and if that happened, there
would be almost no way to stop Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon that
would be launched against Israel and the entire Western world. The Democrats
have repeatedly said that Iran is the real enemy, but they have no concept
of the big picture and can't comprehend that defeat in Iraq would be victory
in Iran. I would tell the President to continue to be strong, to be
resolute, shift and adapt his strategies for the needs of the country, but
to not allow himself to be beaten by the bullies that are actually waiting
with baited breath for the next soldier and Iraqi citizen to die, so they
can point a finger at the President and say "I told you so". I would tell
him that if they win, America is lost.

4) What great event in history do you wish you could have personally
witnessed?

The giving of the Torah at Har Sinai. Man, that must have been something. I know the Midrash says that all of our souls were there t bare wittness, but I would have liked to have really watched the whole event unfold.

5) If you could have two superpowers, what would they be, and why?
First would be regenerative powers. I am a big X-Men comics fan, and I think
Wolverine's power of regeneration would just be awesome. Secondly, I would
really love to fly. C'mon, to be able to beat rush hour traffic, that alone
is worth the power. Screw X-ray vision, give me the ability to soar.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger Rafi G. said...

great interview

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

Thanks.

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Very interesting questions.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

If any of you want to be interviewed, let me know.
-OC

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

OC: I'm up this warm summer(well, it feels like it)evening telling myself I know the Bulls can do this, I know they can beat the Pistons, but deep inside of me I don't know if they can. Anyhow, I'd like to be interviewed by none other than yourself. My email is: enigman81@hotmail.com Hit me up when you get a chance of should I email you first?

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

No, I'll e-mail you tomorrow.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

OK, OC. Good night.

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Oh, I'm definitely up to being interviewed!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Olah Chadasha said...

OK guys, I'm gonna have to hit you up on Monday or later this week. I'm working pretty hours, and I just don't have the time before then.
-OC

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Eitan Ha'ahzari said...

OC: no problemo, but I'll hit ya up for' u do me just to stay in touch and find out what's been up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home